Sunday, March 14, 2010

Out of the Comfort Zone and Into the Fire

Today I embarked on my very first group ride (not including charity rides). I met up with five other riders and headed out for a flat and easy 50 mile ride in the Delta. Having never attempted a ride of this distance, I was a bit apprehensive. Worse, I was riding with much more experienced riders. Not only that, but they were people I had never met. I was more than a little nervous. However, my normally crippling shyness was obliterated once I actually arrived, as they were all very friendly and encouraging.

One big bonus of participating in this ride is that rider #5 was actually in a car following behind us and providing SAG. This alleviated some anxiety regarding technical issues and the possibility that I wouldn’t be able to ride the distance successfully. It also made me feel like a bit of a rock star.

We rolled out at about 9 am. At first, I didn’t have any issues keeping up, but I think the pace was a bit slower than what was originally planned. The morning was brisk with a light breeze that soon turned into a nasty crosswind. I normally avoid wind so this was a new experience for me. However, riding with a group allowed me to use the other riders to my benefit. Regardless, I about pooped out half way through the ride and couldn’t get my groove back. It wasn’t at all a concern with cardio (or the fact that I have asthma), but more that the muscles in my legs decided they’d had enough. It didn’t help that I kept thinking that my seat was too low and my knee was causing pain at one point.

At mile 35, the other woman in the group and I decided that we’d switch out so her husband could ride and we drove the remaining miles back to where we parked. Despite my botched attempt at 50 miles, I feel somewhat accomplished by the 35 miles I did ride since the last time I was on the bike was two weeks ago.

I’m now looking back and troubleshooting my ride. Why was I “too pooped to pop” after only about 25 miles? I have a lot of work to do before I’m ready to attempt a metric century or successfully ride the LIVESTRONG Challenge. Strength and endurance need to be gained, more weight needs to be lost, and I need to acquire some hill climbing skills.

3 comments:

  1. I wish we could have gone on that ride -- we had domestic responsibilities (i.e., cleaning the garage, etc.) and I worked. You sound like you're on the right track for your big rides. (BTW, I'm Red Rider on bikeforums.net, and Musclegal on Twitter.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, you went and rode.

    How many people look out of their windows every morning and think to themselves "Oh, that's pretty." ......and never go farther than that?

    You're riding. You're trying. You rode thirty-five-freakin' miles. Be proud of yourself. I am, and I don't even know you.

    Make a plan. Stick to it. Ride. You're doing fantastic.

    ReplyDelete