Saturday, March 27, 2010

Goodbye Mr. Illness, Hello Mr. Rain

On Monday the 15th of March, it became apparent why I had so much difficulty on the group ride the day before (aside from the wind and distance). Mr. Illness decided to set up camp in my lungs and because of squatter’s rights, I’ve had a hard time kicking him out. I managed to struggle through the workweek fighting a fever, severe cough, and chronic fatigue. I then spent last weekend in bed watching DVD’s. It’s a shame too because for the last two weeks the weather has been stereotypical for California. Simply beautiful.

Today marks the first full day of Spring Break in my neck of the woods. I’ve been looking forward to a week in the saddle (shirking all other responsibilities like cleaning my apartment) pending Mr. Illness finding somewhere else to live. Zippy and I made huge plans too, including a trip to Monterey for riding, shoe shopping, and just spending time with a good friend. However, things often don’t work out as planned. The forecast for the coming week includes rain starting Monday and continuing through the week.

Because of the impending bad weather, I decided to hit the road today and enjoy being outside while it’s nice, even if that meant coughing and hacking my way through a short ride. This is exactly what I did.

Regardless of the hacking, I felt really good through the entire ride, even while battling the wind that caught me off guard a couple of times. I got pretty toasty about halfway through and stopped to remove my warmers despite having not put on any sunscreen (or having bothered to shave). It’s a real shame that this weather can’t last my entire vacation.

I’m feeling a 35-40 km ride coming on tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment