Saturday, May 7, 2011

Bunny’s Gettin’ Her Groove Back

Yesterday I got my bike back from the shop with the shiny new fork (that doesn't actually match) and a new seat post.  Of course, this would mean a ride (or two or three) this weekend.

Today was my first road ride since the accident and only my second ride (first was the short jaunt on the mountain bike).  I was so excited about getting back on the bike that I couldn’t get back to sleep this morning and ended up starting my morning much earlier than needed.

It’s all good though because today I rode my bike.

The anticipation was almost too much for me and as I was getting ready to leave to meet my friend; I was actually nervous and shaking.  The worry about what would happen wasn’t going to stop me though.  Nothing was.  Not even the crazy winds of 10-20 mph along our chosen route.  Any other day those winds probably would have deterred me, but not today.  Today was going to be a good day.

And it was.

Ready to roll out and sporting my Raisin Hope Foundation wristband to remind me how lucky I am.

I started with a couple of laps around the parking lot just to make sure I could remember how to clip in and out.  Immediately, I fell right back into the familiar routine that had become second nature to me.  I guess that saying about never forgetting how to ride a bike is true.

Although the wind didn’t stop me from riding, it did slow us down and cause us to cut our ride short, but the ride was nothing short of amazing for me.  I’d forgotten what it feels like to clip in and out of pedals.  I’d forgotten the feeling of the breeze on my face.  I’d forgotten what it feels like get down into the drops and hammer into a strong wind (my flatlander hills).  Oh, how I miss these things!  Okay, I could do without the wind.

It’s all good though because today I rode my bike.

Now, as I sit home getting ready to meet a friend for lunch, all I can really think about is my next ride.  I’m high on endorphins and can’t sit still.  Tomorrow can’t come soon enough.

Coincidentally, tomorrow is when I pick up my new Giro Ionos waiting for me up at the shop by my parents’ house.  There will definitely be a ride to celebrate that too.

2 comments:

  1. good to hear you got back on the horse, er, bike, and rode. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Michelle, you are an inspiration to me. A friend directed me to you blog, and I am so glad. This post just gave me so much hope. Someday I'll be back on the bike too. I am so, so happy for you.

    Now on to read the rest of your old entries :)

    -Rudy

    ReplyDelete