Wednesday, July 7, 2010

"Cobblestone" Milestone

I thrive on challenges, and by analyzing my difficulties on the bike, I learn how to overcome them. It gives me a feeling accomplishment so I can move onto a new challenge, like climbing longer, pedaling faster, or riding further.

On my most frequent riding route, there is a particular stretch of road that lasts for approximately 0.75 km. It’s some of the worst pavement on which I’ve had the misfortune to ride. In fact, it’s so poorly paved and repaired, that there are rather large weeds growing out of the cracks in the asphalt. In one instance, I had to stop and remove sticky gravel that had lodged itself between my tire and fork, preventing my wheel from turning. In short, the road is a cyclist’s nightmare.

This week, while watching the Tour de France, announcers mentioned that the best way for riders to tackle the cobbles is to get into a big gear and in essence gun it while keeping a loose grip on the handlebars. This way, the bike more or less decides where to go. I’ve always kept a loose grip; otherwise, I end up with no feeling in my hands. However, my speed typically decreases dramatically when I hit this section. Instead, I struggle forward, frustrated and tired, cursing the public works department for poor road maintenance. Today, as an alternative to just continuing at a normal pace and releasing a string of words that would make a sailor blush, I shifted to the big ring and hammered my way through the horror with my teeth tightly clenched. Much to my delight (and likely the dismay of my dentist), it worked. My thighs were on fire by the time I reached the other side, but I got there swiftly and unscathed. Who says you can’t learn anything by watching sports on television?

The last few months have been ones of discoveries for me. My perception of poor pavement has changed significantly since I first started riding a road bike and I no longer fear wind as long as it’s not gusty. With very little thought or concern, I tackle small inclines that once made me grumble. Though I probably spend far more time worrying about my riding technique than anybody who isn’t a racer should, I feel this narcissistic tendency has made me a more confident and enthusiastic rider.

There are currently four more days before the LIVESTRONG Challenge, the event that I’ve been preparing for all winter and spring. Yes, I’m nervous, but I keep telling myself that if I take it easy and pace accordingly, I’ll be fine. I have no idea if this will work, but between that and recognizing the growth I’ve made over the last year and a half back on a bike, I find it keeps me calm so I can sleep at night. Although, I certain Saturday night will require some help.

2 comments:

  1. congratulations... and good luck at the LIVESTRONG Challenge on sunday... you will do better than fine... you will do great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That Paul and Phil are full of wisdoms. Glad it worked for you.

    ReplyDelete