Sunday, June 6, 2010

It's Business Time

I was recently horrified when I took a moment to look back at my workout calendar and noticed that I hadn’t ridden my bike since May 15th. I’d like to blame it on weather or a busy work schedule for the last few weeks until school let out, but I’m 94.37% certain it was laziness. Oh well, too late to do anything about that.

Now it’s time to make a genuine effort in my preparations for the San Jose LIVESTRONG Challenge. I have one month to train for a 50 mile ride, a distance I have never ridden before. Am I freaked out? Um… are Smurfs blue?

I finally got out on my bike yesterday. I did a moderately easy and short route, just trying to get some miles back into my legs. A breeze slowed me down, but now that I’ve learned I can handle a steady breeze, I just thought of it as “invisible hills.” Today was more of the same, only I added about 5 km to the route. The last 6 km were used purely for my own amusement of seeing how fast I could go. Apparently going flat and all out, I can get up to 40.1 kmh, but I can’t maintain it. I did maintain about 37 kmh for a while - pesky stop signs.

Tomorrow I return to work for the next two weeks. Not my regular job, but similar. Lucky for me, the school is close to where I live, I think about 14 km, so I’ll be commuting by bike. This is my first attempt at anything like this. My biggest hope is that I arrive safely with enough time to clean up a bit before class starts. Will the students find it stupid or cool that I rode my bike? We’ll find out tomorrow.

1 comment:

  1. wow! you will be fine. I managed 50m today. It took some time and some breaks but it was an awesome ride.

    ReplyDelete