Saturday, January 2, 2010

New Year, New Attitude

I'm not 100% sure why I've decided to start a new blog. I already have another one that's kept very private. This one won't be. Here is where you’ll find modest tales from my life. Not that it’s an exciting one, but I can be enthusiastic about it.

I’ve already decided to dedicate this blog to a couple of my favorite obsessions – photography and cycling – generally not two activities that I do simultaneously, but I have been known to.

Odds are that you’ll read anecdotes of my feeble attempts to photograph cycling as well. This endeavor stems from a trip to the 2009 Tour of California. I was fortunate enough to have a cold, rainy week off in February of last year and decided to watch the local stage in an attempt to get photos of Lance Armstrong.

Results? Crappy photos of professional cyclists (holy cow they’re fast!) and a rekindled passion for the sport.

This is when the downward spiral began. Before I knew it I had purchased two new bikes, both road and mountain, had begun participating in charity rides, and was traveling out of town to photograph races. Thousands of dollars and hundreds of sluggishly pedaled miles later, I think it’s safe to say that I’m addicted.

In fact, I was informed just the other day that I’m a #cyclingdiva. At first, I denied it, but all of the symptoms are there:
• Traveling out of town to go to races
Stalking Following pro cyclists on twitter
• Speculating on rider transfers
• Noticing names missing from team rosters (in my defense, it would have been last alphabetically, how could I not miss it?)
• Thinking up stupid pet names based on pro cyclists (e.g. “Dave Zabarkskie,” “David Meowllar,” and “Levi Hopheimer.”)
• Learning to knit argyle for the sole purpose of creating a Garmin messenger bag
• Signing up for and riding in
Levi Leipheimer’s King Ridge GranFondo (Okay, only the Piccolo, but Graton Road kicked my butt!)

The signs were there 15 years ago as well; I just didn’t see them as warning signs. I should have known there was a problem when I purchased as my very first brand new car, a Saturn. Yes, the fact that they sponsored a cycling team did have something to do with my decision. Should I be surprised that the actual cycling team outlasted the car? Probably not.

Anyhow, back to the topic of my very first blog entry (not that I was ever on topic anyhow…). Despite some ups and downs for 2009, I feel th
at I had a pretty good year. I’m usually very cynical and I complain. A lot. However, cycling is quite literally changing my life. I’m healthier, happier, and more positive about life than I probably have been in decades, I’m in love with my bikes, and I did finally get a good photo of Lance Armstrong.


Now I don’t make “resolutions” because I associate those with broken promises. Instead, I set goals. My goals build on what I’ve already started so as long as I continue what I’m doing, I should continue see progress. No new routines. No impossible expectations. Just me continuing with a lifestyle change that I know is working out for me.

Velo related goals for 2010:
• April – photographing the Copperopolis Road Race
• May –
Delta Century (metric)
• May – photographing the Tour of California with some level of success
• July –
LIVESTRONG Challenge, San Jose, 50 mile course
• October – Levi Leipheimer’s King Ridge GranFondo, Piccolo route and this time I’m kicking Graton Road’s butt
• In general, drop some more pounds because when you’re climbing a hill, the extra weight is so not your friend!

Stay tuned to see how I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment